Do you have a store or webshop and / or do you sell a physical product? Then you can also sell your products through Otto. You will benefit from the reach of this popular German web store. This possibly gives you a lot of extra customers and sales. But you will have to do it right! In this article you will find everything you need to know about selling as an external seller on Otto.
About Otto Group
Otto started as a German mail order company selling shoes as early as 1949. Now, 70 years later, the company has grown into one of the largest online retailers worldwide. After Amazon, Otto is the largest one in Germany! On the site you can buy everything from fashion and furniture to toys and electronics. The webshop has more than 7.5 million active customers and is active in more than 30 countries worldwide.
Selling on Otto Market
Just like on Amazon, Zalando and Bol.com, you can also sell your products on Otto as an external party. For this, Otto has launched a platform called "Otto Market". As an external seller, you are able to offer your products to a large and international audience through Otto.
Start to sell via Otto: a step-by-step plan
Otto is gradually opening his marketplace to new partners. To start selling your products through Otto, you must complete the following steps:1. Register as a potential partner via this form. Otto assesses your application and checks whether you are a suitable partner.
2. Wait for Otto to send you an invitation to become a partner. After receiving the invitation you can register and receive the login details for the partner platform.
3. Complete your company profile with all important information (master data).
4. Read and sign the contract you have with Otto. This can be done completely digitally.
5. Otto checks whether you meet all requirements (security check). This concerns legal requirements and requirements from Otto itself.
6. You can see the status of the fitness check on the dashboard. Did you pass and did you fill in all the details? Then you can start adding your articles.
7. You can add articles to the product range via Otto Partner Connect. You can add all articles and product details manually or use an integrator (see below).
Selling on Otto: requirements for partners
To be able to sell on Otto, you must meet the following general requirements:
- You already own your own webshop.
- You have a branch in Germany, designed according to a German legal form.
- You have a German VAT number.
- Your customers are end customers of the product. In other words, the webshop is not intended for wholesalers who sell items for stores and web shops for resale.
- You provide customer service in German.
- You ship your products from a German warehouse.
- You meet the credit check.
- You must ship your products with Hermes or DHL.
You must also meet the following product requirements from Otto:
- You sell at least 1000 products.
- You sell products in one or more of the following categories: fashion & lifestyle, furniture and home accessories, technology.
- Otto bans products made from certain materials, such as animal fur, sandblasted textiles and Uzbek cotton (related to child labor). Additional rules are also attached to the sale of products made of certain materials. Think, for example, of products made of leather, feathers, down and wool.
- Otto prohibits the sale of products that go against their corporate values. For that reason, you may not sell products that glorify the use of weapons or drugs.
Selling on Otto: required documents
Finally, you must provide Otto with the following information:
- Know Your Customer (KYC): Otto is legally obliged to request so-called KYC documents. With this, Otto verifies your company details and identifies the legal representative of the company. This is to prevent money laundering and terrorist financing.
- Information about how you ship your products and how customers can return your products.
- Payment information (B2B).
- Information about you as a trader: name, address details, copy of identification document.
- Product specifications (see below).
Why would you sell on Otto? The advantages!
Not everyone is admitted as a partner on Otto overnight. For example, it is more difficult to be admitted on Otto than on Bol.com. Nevertheless, selling on Otto has many advantages:
- Otto has a wide reach: 7.5 million active customers.
- By selling on Otto you can easily sell your products internationally: Otto is active in more than 30 countries worldwide.
- It is the second largest webshop in Germany (after Amazon). If you want to launch your products in Germany, this webshop is very suitable.
- Because it is more difficult to be admitted as a partner, you have a better competitive position when you are admitted. The filter options for customers are also good, making it easier for customers to find your products.
- Do you sell fashion? Then Otto is certainly interesting for you: it is the largest webshop for fashion.
- Do you sell furniture? Even then this webshop is an obvious choice for you. Otto has better logistics handling for large furniture (two-man handling).
- Finally, Otto recently expanded the possibilities for retail media. Sponsored product advertisements and (banner) advertisements are now quite easy to book.
Before you can start with your selling, Otto needs product specifications for all your products. This includes:
- product name
- product description
- 3-5 bullet points
- information about various elements, such as: material, length, cup size, number of parts and package size
- product number
- category and subcategory according to Otto's list
Otto also needs the following article information:
- information about possible variations, such as color and size
- article number
- gross sale price
- EAN code (European article numbering)
- quantity in stock
- shipping type (parcel post or bulk goods)
- delivery time (minimum within 2 working days)
- packaging dimensions and weight
- country of origin
Otto Partner Connect
Otto Partner Connect (OPC) is the control center for external sellers on Otto. You can access this portal after going through the registration process with Otto Market.
In this portal you will find all important information.
In addition, the following functions will be available soon (or are already available):
- view and manage products
- overview of order status and shipped products
- summary of all payment transactions
- sales analysis and optimization of the product range
- additional services and advertisements
You can send your products to the customer in two ways.
- Direct shipment: when you send the products from your warehouse directly to the customer. Note: to ship your products you must use Hermes or DHL as the carrier.
- Integration model (also called the cross-docking model): you send your products to Otto and Otto sends the orders to the customer.
Help with automation: integrators
Manually adding all your articles to the partner portal is a lot of work. That is why it is wise to use an integrator. This software links your internal systems to one or more marketplaces. It is necessary to have ICT knowledge to use an integrator.
By using an integrator you can automatically add all your products to the Otto partner portal. Orders are processed automatically and stock is automatically tracked. You can easily view your products, stock and orders.
In case you don’t have enough ICT knowledge yourself we can help you with this. At Brandsom we have experience integrating brands with all major integrators including: ChannelEngine, Productflow, EffectConnect, Vendiro and Tradebyte. We can therefore help you with:
- finding the right integrator;
- linking your systems;
- and onboarding and mapping your products.
Help with selling via Otto
Are you interested in selling your products on Otto and could you use some help with this? Then contact us. We can help you with:
- the onboarding of your products via various integrators (automation)
- improving your product titles and descriptions (optimization)
- the successful use of the advertising options (advertising)