Are you a brand owner or (online) retailer and do you sell products through Amazon? Then you may have noticed that recently a new badge can be seen next to certain products. This is Amazon's Climate Pledge Friendly Label. The badge indicates that the product is part of Amazon's new Climate Pledge Friendly Program.
With this program, Amazon wants to encourage the sale of sustainable products. Do you sell sustainable products yourself and would you like to know more about this program? Then read on. Want to learn more about sustainability on fashion marketplaces, read our extensive blog or click on the arrow below and get in touch with one of our specialists!
- Amazon's new Climate Pledge Friendly Program
- When are your products eligible for Amazon's Climate Pledge Friendly Label?
- Compact by Design
- The benefits for you as a sales person
- Promoting your Climate Pledge Friendly products
What is Amazon's new Climate Pledge Friendly Program?
In 2019, Amazon signed a Climate Pledge. In it, the company gave a commitment to be "net-zero carbon" by 2040. In other words: Amazon pledged to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2040, 10 years ahead of the Paris Agreement requirement. The Climate Pledge Friendly Program is part of this pledge.
More and more consumers want to store more sustainably. Amazon's Climate Pledge Friendly Program responds to this. The program was recently launched in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy and Spain. It is expected that Amazon Netherlands will soon join the program.
The Climate Pledge Friendly Program makes it more attractive for sellers to sell sustainable products through Amazon. The accompanying Climate Pledge Friendly Label makes it easy for customers to recognize sustainable products, or filter them during their search.
Are my products eligible for Amazon's Climate Pledge Friendly Label?
Climate Pledge Friendly products carry one or more sustainability certifications. To do this, Amazon works with a wide range of external certifications, including those from government agencies, nonprofit organizations and independent laboratories.
Do you sell products on Amazon and wonder if your products qualify for the Climate Pledge Friendly Label? Good news! If your product is certified by one or more of the organizations below, your product qualifies for Amazon's Climate Pledge Friendly Program:
- Reducing CO2
- Carbonfree Certified
- Cradle to Cradle Certified
- ENERGY STAR Most Efficient
- Fairtrade International
- The Forest Stewardship Council
- Global Organic Textile Standard
- Global Recycled Standard
- Green Seal
- Made in Green by Oeko-Tex
- Organic Content Standard 100
- Rainforest Alliance
- Recycled Claim Standard 100
- Recycled Claim Standard Blended
- Responsible Wool Standard
If your product contains one of these certifications, you can sign it up for the Climate Pledge Friendly Program and automatically receive the corresponding Climate Pledge Friendly Label. You can read more about the above certifications on Amazon.
Compact by Design
In addition to the above certifications, Amazon has also created its own certifications called 'Compact by Design'. 'Compact by Design' is a certification that identifies products that have an efficient design. Because excess air and water are removed from the design, products require less packaging and can be shipped more efficiently. At scale, these small differences in product size and weight lead to a significant reduction in carbon emissions. You can read more about Compact by Design on Amazon.
Ook wanneer jouw product niet aan één van de externe certificeringen voldoet, maar wel aan de interne certificering van Amazon, kwalificeert jouw product voor het Climate Pledge Friendly Program.
Let op: Amazon geeft de badge aan producten en niet aan een merk als geheel. Het kan dus dat een aantal van jouw producten voor het label in aanmerking komen en anderen niet.
What are the benefits to you as a salesperson?
Participating in Amazon's Climate Pledge Friendly Program and displaying the Climate Pledge Friendly Label next to your products has a number of benefits for you as a seller.
1. It establishes your company, brand and/or products as sustainable, which is good for your brand's reputation and image. More and more customers find sustainability important, so having a sustainable image is very important.
2. According to research by National Retail Federation and IBM, more than 70% of shoppers prefer environmentally conscious brands. Customers also indicated that they were willing to pay more for sustainably produced products. So customers are willing to pay more and are more likely to choose your product when your product has this label. In short: it provides a great competitive advantage.
3. In many cases, products with a Climate Pledge Friendly label will appear higher in search results than similar products without the label. This is because it is also interesting for Amazon itself to sell more sustainable products, as this will allow them to achieve their promise of net-zero carbon emissions by 2040.
4. Amazon Advertising has a number of solutions to help you improve the discoverability of your Climate Pledge Friendly products and connect with consumers who want to store more sustainably.
Promote your Climate Pledge Friendly-products
Do your products qualify for the Climate Pledge Friendly Program? Then you can bring these products to the attention of so-called "green shoppers" in a number of ways.
1. Create a separate page for your Climate Pledge Friendly products free of charge:
You can place your sustainable products on a separate page in the Store. This makes it easier for customers to discover your sustainable products.
2. Target the right audience:
In addition, Amazon has created a new target audience that allows you to target ads for Climate Pledge Friendly products to customers interested in sustainability.
3. Encourage awareness of your sustainable products through a video ad:
You can now easily create a video ad that first explains the Climate Pledge Friendly Program, then plays the ad for your brand. This second part highlights your participation in the program and encourages shoppers to view your products. By stringing the two videos together, you can link your brand to Climate Pledge Friendly without having to modify your brand ad.
4. Leverage Amazon's toolkit:
To promote your Climate Pledge Friendly products beyond the Amazon store.
Want to learn more about selling on Amazon?
Want to know more about selling and/or promoting your products through Amazon's marketplace? Click on the arrow below to get in touch with one of our specialists.
As a marketplace specialist Brandsom is happy to help you with:
- Building your own brand through Sponsored Brands
- Optimisation of content and advertising
- Creation of A+ content
Brandsom has proven expertise in optimising and advertising content for Amazon through various integrators, including ChannelAdvisor.